Saturday, February 12, 2005

Flower Show Season

I spent Wed - Fri of this week in Seattle attending the Northwest Flower and Garden Show. This world class show is among the largest and most elaborate shows in the country and, in my mind, acts as the unofficial launch of the gardening year. The show's seminar schedule is second to none. I especially enjoyed Dan Hinkley’s talks on Wednesday and Thursday; he is such a master and at the risk of gushing I must say I am awestruck by the gardening life he has created for himself. Many of you are familiar with his fabulous garden & nursery at Heronswood and know of his exploits as a world traveling plant explorer. On Wednesday evening, he shared slides from a recent plant expedition to South Africa. Thursday's talk, however, is the one that inspired me most; he showed slides of the development of his new garden and although the garden is young it is clear that this encore performance will rival his original gardens at Heronswood as it ages and matures.

This upcoming weekend the Yard, Garden & Patio show at the convention center here in Portland will further fuel the gardening frenzy that has been building with the mild, warm days we have been enjoying. A fine selection of seminars are being offered which I am sure will further whet your appetite. I highly recommend catching Helen Dillon's talk; she will be speaking on Friday evening, and then repeating her performance on Saturday. Also on the "don't miss" list, Ann Lovejoy; I had a chance to see her again this week at the Seattle show and always find her thoroughly enjoyable. To see the full list of seminars follow this link or visit the YGP website at http://www.ygpshow.com/.

The Hardy Plant Society of Oregon (HPSO) is sponsoring a botanical exhibit showcasing winter interest plants. I will be volunteering at the display on Saturday from 11:30 am to 2 pm; if you're at the show, please stop by and say hello.