Monday, February 14, 2005

Call it what it is ... Bloomtown, The Nursery.


Still under construction, but coming along!

In the past when describing what I am doing with all those plants, I often stopped short of calling it a “nursery” per se. While one of my primary motivations is still to maintain an inventory of exciting plants to draw upon for my client’s projects, I have expanded my operation so that I will be able to offer my plant material to the general public more easily and more frequently. For those who have previously shopped at my home garden, please know that I have relocated my nursery operation to a nearby site, a couple of blocks away, near NE 50th & Fremont. Some of you may be familiar with Troy Susan and his specialty nursery, The Bamboo Craftsman. We are co-developing an expanded nursery space adjacent to his existing site at 3528 NE 50th Ave, just off of Fremont, behind Jim & Patty’s coffee shop. I will be offering a choice selection of perennials, grasses, shrubs and trees; focusing on the plants that I know and love, that I trust to use in my client gardens. In addition, I will offer a small selection of garden accessories and containers. Troy will continue to focus on his exciting collection of bamboo.

We are currently open only by appointment, but will keep regular hours starting this spring. Effective April 1 and continuing through October, the nursery will be open Thursday through Saturday. In the meantime, please call me at 503-331-1783 or email (darcy@bloomtowngardendesign.com) for directions and to make an appointment.

Please do call! I currently have a great selection of top notch trees & shrubs that would benefit from going in the ground now. Late winter, early spring is a great time for planting trees & shrubs, allowing for better root establishment before summer. See below for a small sampling of what I currently have on hand:

TREES!
Stewartia pseudocamellia
- an outstanding “all-season” tree
Styrax japonicus - Japanese Snowbell; pendulous fragrant white flowers in spring
Chionanthus virginicus - Fringe Tree, a delightful spring bloomer!
Davidia involucrata - Handkerchief Tree; large white floral bracts resemble handkerchiefs!
Crape Myrtle – several varieties, all sporting excellent fall color!
Enkianthus campanulatus – spring blooming, outstanding fall color!
Franklinia alatamaha – uncommon; summer blooming, fall color!
Gingko biloba ‘Autumn Gold’ – can’t beat the foliage texture!
Ginkgo biloba 'Gresham'
Heptacodium miconioides – Seven Sons Flower; unusual flower effect, peeling bark.

SHRUBS!

Berberis ‘Aurea’ – a jolt of strong yellow foliage that holds its color all season.
Berberis ‘Rosy Glow’ – a 2005 Great Plant Pick selection!
CeanothusVictoria’ & C. ‘Vandenberg’ – Very drought tolerant!
Callistemon ‘Woodland Red’ – Evergreen, hardy!
Escallonia 'Lou Allen’ – Compact, evergreen!
English Roses – Fragrant!
Fothergilla gardenii ‘Mt Airy’ – Outstanding fall color!
Hydrangea serrata 'Preziosa' – Hydrangeas are very hard working shrubs that should be included in every garden!
Hydrangea quercifolia ‘Snow Queen’ – dramatic foliage and flowers, great fall color!

PERENNIALS!
Hellebores! – need I say more?
Euphorbia ‘Jade Dragon’
Phlomis fruticosa & P. tuberosa – drought tolerant, unusual flower whorls in summer!
A fine selection of Ornamental Grasses!

And MUCH, MUCH more!
Call for information about the full inventory of plant material I have on hand.