Monday, February 14, 2005

Rose Pruning - an unconventional approach

Some of the most successful roses in my garden are a result of non-traditional rose pruning practices. I think my favorite rose (at this moment, of course!) is a David Austin introduction, called "Golden Celebration." To facilitate getting more of this good thing, I have taken to "pegging" this rose in my front parking strip. This is a method that, in essence, means that I am treating it as a climber when it comes to pruning, even though it is planted in the border. I allow long whips to develop, and then I bend the canes so they are horizontal to the ground and tethered via biodegradable jute string. The horizontal orientation of the cane stimulates the production of flowering shoots all along the stem, resulting in an unparalleled abundance of flowers and fragrance. After all, this is what growing roses is all about, right?!

When a rose is grown in this way, it allows the development of magical garden scenes as neighboring plants clamber and crawl over and around these horizontal stems. Good plants to pair with roses in this way will have an open and accommodating growth habit which doesn't mind the extra support and constraint from the lattice of canes that develop, yet don't overwhelm the rose and inhibit good air flow around the plant (an important disease prevention measure). Some choice plants to try: clematis (naturally!), salvia, nepata, agastache, allium, lilies, and many more.

Most importantly, have fun, PLAY and make some captivating combinations in your own garden this summer!